On the subject of the protagonist's desire
In a novel, a well-rounded protagonist must have a burning desire – something he or she aspires to achieve or to possess, desperately. The protagonist’s journey in the pursuit of that “dream” is the adventure that the reader will enjoy, along with the challenges that stand in the way.
This is why, the first question that every author should ask, is this: what is the great desire of my protagonist? The range of possibilities is so wide ...
So ask yourself, my dear colleage: What is the burning desire of my protagonist?
• To win a marathon - or to be able to walk?
• To live in a beautiful place - or in a safe place?
• To own a home – or have sheter?
• To be loved – or not to be abused?
• To find a treasure - or to find a loved one?
• To have a nice body - or be free of cancer?
• To be professionally sucessful- or to have a job?
• To have a child’e love - or have a child - or have children who are healthy?
• To be a poet - or learn how to write?
And while you are pondering the question tell me also: what is YOUR greatest desire? The range of possibilities is so wide ...